Plan to update linux-openmotif and might break your Linux port.

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Fri Oct 22 12:30:41 PDT 2004

Hello folks,

Current, the linux-openmotif has the security issue and has been marked as
DEPRECATED, which it will be remove in a month. I can't allow it to be
remove because of linux-opera depends on it. I only can found a RPM that
has security patch include that is update to 2.2.4 and bumped the shared
libraries version. I am luck that linux-opera has support multi-version of
linux-openmotif's shared libraries, so I will have no problem with the
future update of linux-openmotif. I only found two more ports that depend
on linux-openmotif:

biology/spdbv (CC'ing to chuynh at biolateral.com.au)
math/mupad (CC'ing to maho at FreeBSD.org)

I didn't test them with the new linux-openmotif, so I want you guys to
test my patch.

http://people.freebsd.org/~mezz/diff/linux-openmotif.diff

You guys might need to update your port or whatever. If I don't hear from
you guys for a week or two, then I shall mark both ports as broke. It
won't make any difference, because if I don't update linux-openmotif then
it will be remove and those ports will be broke anyway. However, please
let me know if you won't have any problem, send me patch(es) to fix your
port with new linux-openmotif as I shall commit those at the same time
when I update linux-openmotif, feedback and/or whatever.

On another note: If one of you find another better RPM (redhat 7) that
include security patch fixes without bump the shared libraries version,
then let me know and all three ports will be safe without tweak require.

Cheers,
Mezz

FreeBSD GNOME Team