portindex -- the second coming.

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Fri Oct 22 08:39:01 PDT 2004

Dear all,

After the recent fun and games with the sysutils/portindex port by
Radim Kolar, it seems there is a pent up demand for software that can
maintain /usr/ports/INDEX without the hassle of going through a full
'make index' every time you want to update.

I've put together a few bits of perl to achieve that.  Now I'm looking
for people to try it out, send me feedback, bug reports, suggestions
etc.  To be beta testers in fact.

If all goes well, my aim is to declare a 1.0 release wthin a couple of
weeks, package everything up nicely and submit it as a port.  I've put
everything under the same 2 clause BSD licence as FreeBSD mostly uses,
and I'm not the sort to withdraw everything suddenly because it's got
too popular...

If you'ld like to be a tester, please grab the tar-ball from:

    http://www.infracaninophile.co.uk/portindex/portindex-0.1.tar.bz2

Unpack it:

    tar -jxvf portindex-0.1.tar.bz2

and follow the instructions in the README file.  Any and all feedback
will be gratefully received.  I called it 'portindex' again for lack
of any better inspiration -- this may cause confusion when I come to
submit this as a port.  Suggestions appreciated.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

Note: I used perl-5.8.5.  This definitely won't work as-is with
perl-5.005.04, and I'm not sure about perl-5.6.1

I also used Berkeley DB (db42-4.2.52_3) in an attempt to avoid the
btree bugs that have been bedeviling portupgrade(1) users on
4.10-RELEASE or 5.1.2-RELEASE or earlier.  It should work with any of
the Berkeley DB variants available in ports (2, 3, 4, 41, 41-nocrypto,
42, 42-nocrypto)

                                                      Savill Way