troubles bulding Python from ports

Frank Laszlo laszlof at vonostingroup.com
Wed Oct 20 08:26:06 PDT 2004

Alexander Isaev wrote:

>Hello freebsd-ports,
>
>  I've tried to build Python from ports (/usr/ports/lang/python).
>  After entering make command I've received:
>[root python]# make
>Error: bad value for PYTHON_VERSION: python2.3.
>Legal values are:
>  python1.5
>  python1.6
>  python2.0
>  python2.1
>  python2.2 (default).
>*** Error code 1
>
>Stop.
>
>I've updated my ports collection to the recent date.
>
>What can be the problem? And how can I fix it?
>
>Best regards,
> Alexander Isaev                          mailto:A.Isaev at astelit.ru

It builds fine for me here, PYTHON_VERSION is set within the Makefile.
it sounds like ports/Mk/bsd.python.mk didnt get updated, what is the cvs
id on the file? Just Execute the command:
# ident /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.python.mk
/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.python.mk:
     $FreeBSD: ports/Mk/bsd.python.mk,v 1.55 2004/09/03 17:12:28 perky Exp $

I have the latest version which reflects 2.3 as the default python
version. If you have anything older than version 1.55, you will need to
cvsup your ports. Hope this helps

Regards,
    Frank