Amavisd-new and clamav user/group permissions conflictions?

Henry Karpatskij henkka at spheroid.info
Sun Oct 17 01:48:54 PDT 2004

Haulmark, Chris wrote:

> I installed security/amavisd-new (2.1.2,1) and chose security/clamav (0.80.r4)
> as my antivirus solution.

I'm satisfied with that solution, too.

> In the /usr/local/etc/clamd.conf, it had clamav as the default user for clamd
> to be running under.  /usr/local/etc/amavisd.conf shows vscan as the default
> user.

That's true, it also gave me some headache, but I solved it by running
clamav on the vscan user. It was rather tricky, since I had to manually
change all the file permissions after every clamav upgrade.

Fortunately, nowadays there are few knobs in the clamav Makefile (named
CLAMAVUSER and CLAMAVGROUP) which can be used to change the default user.

Just add some pkgtools.conf MAKE_ARGS magic and change the default user
set on /usr/local/etc/clamav.conf and it works like a charm.

--
Henry Karpatskij <henkka at spheroid.info>
http://spheroid.info/