Ports with no pkg-plist files

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Sat Oct 16 12:26:05 PDT 2004

On Sat, Oct 16, 2004 at 02:19:35PM -0500, Conrad J. Sabatier wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 21:01:45 +0200, Oliver Lehmann <lehmann at ans-netz.de>
> wrote:
>
> > Conrad J. Sabatier wrote:
> >
> > > Today I ran the following command to determine which ports in the
> > > ports tree are missing a pkg-plist file:
> > >

> > Whats about ports specifying PLIST_DIRS/PLIST_FILES instead of having
> > a pkg-plist?
>
> OK, I'm a little out-of-date re: this stuff.  :-)
>
> However, doing a subsequent scan of Makefiles turned up a large number
> of them that don't define any PLIST* variables.
>
> In other words, the ports tree is rather inconsistent in this area, it
> seems.  The majority of ports still do have pkg-plist files, some have
> PLIST* variables defined, some don't.
>
> I don't know what would be the preferred resolution to all of this, but
> it *is* a little disturbing, don't you think?

I think you're still off base.  For example, it also looks like you're
overlooking slave ports that inherit their pkg-plist from their master
port, which is also legitimate (the PLIST* variable is defined in the
make environment via .include).

If there were ports truly without pkg-plists, they'd show up on the
package builds.

Kris