alternative options for ports

Sebastian Schulze Struchtrup sebastian at struchtrup.de
Thu Oct 14 08:21:35 PDT 2004

Frank Laszlo wrote:

> That way a user could just type something like 'make listoptions' and
> it will give a nice list of build options
> for a specific port. Anyone have any feedback on this?

I think this would be nice.
For users who scare of looking into Makefiles as well as for others who
do not.
It is not required to have, but nice.

With a standard framework for options, this list could be generated
automatically (Regardless of using the menu-based config of not) and
would not require a separate file.
But this would require all ports to use this and a global switch to
disable the menu-based config for those who don't like it.
As someone other has told us (I've seen this too, somewhere) this is
implemented by a few ports, but rather with pre-everything and not as a
separate target.
But I think there is a port which defines a separate target, like
show-options. Don't know which one.

Regards
Sebastian