alternative options for ports

Michael Nottebrock michaelnottebrock at gmx.net
Wed Oct 13 22:43:09 PDT 2004

On Thursday 14 October 2004 00:24, Frank J. Laszlo wrote:
> David O'Brien wrote:
> >On Wed, Oct 13, 2004 at 12:38:40PM +0000, Eivind Eklund wrote:
> >>On Tue, Oct 12, 2004 at 03:51:01PM -0400, Frank Laszlo wrote:
> >>If you've got more *specific* problems with usability (like the batch
> >>build problem above),

The solution to that is old and well known: set BATCH before you start your
overnight build. I personally think this is all good: The 'surprise' element
is shifted from newbie users using the ports collection interactively (who
don't know anything about ports, let alone port Makefiles or
even /etc/make.conf) to routine users who are doing regular 'portupgrade -a'
sessions at night. It's perfectly fine to expect the latter crowd to know and
remember about BATCH.

> >>I'm very interested, as I'm trying to collect
> >>these for doing a new round of fixes for the options support in
> >>bsd.port.mk.
> >
> >BTW, has anyone started to impliment the NO_<portname>_OPTIONS feature
> >that was requested?
>
> That sounds like a great idea to me, I would definately like to devote
> some time to implementing such a feature if the demand is there.

NO_<portname>_OPTIONS is a detail enhancement for a rather special usage of
the ports collections and it definitely won't help the problem scenario you
describe: That ports you don't anything about yet (i.e., newly added build
dependencies) will pop up an OPTIONS dialog at you.

NO_<portname>_OPTIONS is only useful for ports where you a.) Already know they
will present you with OPTIONS and b.) You actually already know what OPTIONS
you want beforehand and define the WITH/WITHOUT switches somewhere before you
start out. In other words, NO_<portname>_OPTIONS is useful for unattended
installations of new systems where you have a very specific set of ports
(with a very specific configuration) which you're installing onto new
machines.

   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi at freebsd.org