how to "downgrade" a port in the tree

John Nielsen john at jnielsen.net
Wed Oct 13 09:21:40 PDT 2004

Hi folks-

I have a policy/procedure question-

I'm not much of a programmer, but I am the port maintainer for the
mail/hotwayd port.  The version in the tree is the latest available
version, hotwayd 0.8.  However, there are some serious bugs in this version
that result in mangled e-mail headers.

The author does not appear to be actively maintaining the port, since there
have been no changes to the webpage (http://hotwayd.sourceforge.net) since
February.  I am not aware of anyone else working on these bugs at present.

The previous version of the software, hotwayd 0.74, works well (albeit with
a smaller advertised feature set).  I never submitted a port for 0.74, only
0.71.  I think the best thing would be to have 0.74 in the ports tree.  I'm
happy to submit a port-maintainer patch, but I wanted to see if there were
any special considerations for going down a version.  What is the best
place to notify end-users of the situation? (UPDATING?)  Is there a way to
convince portupgrade that the .74 version is better than the .80 version
for existing installations?

Thanks for any input.  Please CC me as I'm not on the list.

JN