alternative options for ports

Sebastian Schulze Struchtrup seb at struchtrup.com
Tue Oct 12 09:57:04 PDT 2004

I would like to poll if there is any need for an extension to the
current menu-driven config frontend.
My idea was to implement a kind of alternative options, like
radio-buttons in a gui, using "dialog --menu" or something like this.
Not enable/disable options, but a way to select one option out of a few
others.
For a new port (the lxr source code cross referencer) I will need a
selection of one of three database clients to use and one of two
indexing/search engine.
Please correct me if if there is yet a way to achieve this other than
coding directly in the ports' makefile.

Will there be any use for some other ports (in the future?).
I would go to implement this in bsd.port.mk if this is favoured and
would make sense for others.
Otherwise, I would implement a way in the ports makefile or using a
command line/environment option like WITH_DB=xxxx.

I would be pleased to get some feedback.

Thanks,
Sebastian Schulze Struchtrup