SQL Ledger request

Ceri Davies ceri at submonkey.net
Fri Oct 8 11:03:10 PDT 2004

On Fri, Oct 08, 2004 at 03:10:57PM +0000, Paul J. Pathiakis wrote:
> On Friday 08 October 2004 01:37 pm, Ceri Davies wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 08, 2004 at 01:21:06PM +0000, Paul J. Pathiakis wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > >  5.2.1-P10 seems to have a problem with send-pr selecting the "ports"
> > > category despite it being in the file.  I'll see if UPDATING the OS fixes
> > > anything today.
> >
> > Paul,
> >
> > Could you check out src/etc/gnats/freefall, overwrite your
> > /etc/gnats/freefall file with it and see what happens please.
> >

> I certainly can.....
>
> err.... I tried that is....
>
> There is no freefall file anywhere in /usr/src or /usr/obj.

Sorry, it's src/gnu/usr.bin/send-pr/categories.

> As for the existing /etc/gnats/freefall file,
>
> od -a, showed the following:
>

> 0000000    #  sp   $   F   r   e   e   B   S   D   :  sp   s   r   c   /
> 0000020    g   n   u   /   u   s   r   .   b   i   n   /   s   e   n   d
> 0000040    -   p   r   /   c   a   t   e   g   o   r   i   e   s   ,   v
> 0000060   sp   1   .   1   5  sp   2   0   0   3   /   0   6   /   2   0
> 0000100   sp   1   0   :   4   8   :   2   6  sp   d   e   s  sp   E   x
> 0000120    p  sp   $  nl   a   d   v   o   c   a   c   y  nl   a   l   p
> 0000140    h   a  nl   a   m   d   6   4  nl   b   i   n  nl   c   o   n
> 0000160    f  nl   d   o   c   s  nl   g   n   u  nl   i   3   8   6  nl
> 0000200    i   a   6   4  nl   j   a   v   a  nl   k   e   r   n  nl   m
> 0000220    i   s   c  nl   p   o   r   t   s  nl   p   o   w   e   r   p
> 0000240    c  nl   s   p   a   r   c   6   4  nl   s   t   a   n   d   a
> 0000260    r   d   s  nl   w   w   w  nl
> 0000270
>
> Nothing bizarre there.

Agreed.

> > >  Thanks for accepting this PR via e-mail.
> >
> > Um, this is not really a PR.  You need to find someone willing to port
> > it; raising a PR will not make this happen.
>
> I'm sorry.  I've been misdirected in the past.  I've been told to use the pr
> system and I've been told to just mail to ports.  Would just mailing to ports
> help?  Is there a document that addresses all the interactions with the
> Project and all it's aspects (ports, source, etc - I know about the mailing
> lists.)  (I would prefer to do the right thing.  I assume that the send-pr is
> just a script to a gnats database, yes? and it's just used for tracking
> problems with the FreeBSD source/OS.)

Mail to ports is more likely to get you a better response than filing a
PR if you're hoping to get someone to port some software you want
ported; the PR database is supposed to be for bug reports and port
updates.  Unforunately I don't think that asking on ports is that good a
way of finding someone either.

A better way would be to try to port it yourself (read the Porter's
Handbook at
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/index.html
for help on that), and then ask on ports when/if you run into trouble
and need help.

The main document for guidelines on PR submission is
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/problem-reports/index.html,
though I haven't looked over it recently and it may need some updating
or clarification.

Ceri