How can I get the Dollar Sign '$' to show in OPTIONS Makefile lists?

Paul Seniura pdseniura at techie.com
Wed Oct 6 12:15:04 PDT 2004

>>> (10.06.2004 @ 1447 PST): Paul Seniura said, in 1.2K: <<
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm trying to be the maintainer for the net/tn3270 port.
>> I've filed a PR #72367 to bring in a new version called net/c3270
>> so we won't lose the original net/tn3270 for other users but
>> still have a working curses-based 3270 emulator for 5.3-Release.
>> In my PR, the shell-archive will create a new Makefile under the
>> ports/net/c3270 dir.  I'm using the OPTIONS= dialog to show all
>> the new customizable goodies.  If you look in my PR for this
>> Makefile, I'm not having any luck in showing the '$' for the
>> IND$FILE string on the FT line.  To whittle this down, the line:
>>    OPTIONS=  FT  "Include IND\$FILE support"  on
>> will still not show the '$' sign properly.  And I've tried all
>> kinds of iterations and \$ escapes and substitutions etc. etc. etc.
>> IND$FILE is the official name for this option, and it looks
>> totally funny without it, and misspelling it will be missed in
>> documentation searches and such.
>> Does anyone have a clue how to make a '$' show up there, please?
>> Thank you much,
>>   --  Paul Seniura.
>>> end of "How can I get the Dollar Sign '$' to show in OPTIONS Makefile lists?" from Paul Seniura <<
>
>$$

Bzzzt -- nope, dun already tried that, too.
Having "IND$$FILE" in the middle string shows this on the
user's dialog screen during the make config section:

 [X] FT             Include IND support

Before suggesting it, yes I tried adding a line to set
what it seems to be doing e.g. $$FILE -> ${FILE} :
FILE=FILE
does show INDFILE on the dialog screen
and
FILE=\$FILE
begins to "eat up" the letters of FILE again.
I've tried all other kinds of iterations there, too,
such as
FILE=$$FILE
FILE=$\FILE
to stop the $ being expanded
etc.

Started adding more $$$s: seems an odd number will
cause some syntax problems, while even numbers will
cause normal substitution.  ;)

I even put single-quotemarks around the OPTIONS middle
string, whereupon the bsd.port.mk script still acts on
doing the $ substitutions.

There doesn't seem to be a way to get a real '$' in there
to show up.

This is gonna be fun.   :)

># Adam

  --  thx, Paul Seniura.