Configuring an EPSON printer with pips drivers

Esaltato esaltato at tele2.it
Fri Oct 1 15:53:05 PDT 2004

Hello FreeBSDers, I am having problems with my Epson C60. I configured
it months ago with cups, and it worked. Then it started printing some
garbage (like ???) instead of documents, over the lan and locally, and
the annoying part is that it spanned this garbage over several sheets. I
tried to solve this, but I couldn't.
Then I looked at the native Epson driver for FreeBSD, from Epson Kowa
Japan. I installed it, but after setup when I execute ekpstm I get:

ekpd has not started.

In order to use a printer.... etc.

The funny part is that:

localhost# ps aux | grep ek
root  59064  0,0  0,2  1720  844  p0  S    12:15am   0:00,00
/usr/local/libexec/pips/printer/ekpd

ekpd is definitely running from the script. All files have been set up:

---> ekpdrc:
PrinterName = sc60s
PrinterDevicePath = /dev/ulpt0
DummyDevicePath = /var/ekpd/ekplp0
CommandServerPort = 35586

---> printcap:
# written for pips-sc60s
sc60s|EPSON SC60S:\
    :sd=/var/spool/lpd/sc60s:\
    :mx#0:\
    :sh:\
    :lp=/var/ekpd/ekplp0:\
    :if=/usr/local/libexec/pips/SC60S/filter-sc60s:\
    :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:
# pips-sc60s  end

---> services:
cbtd        35586/tcp   #

What do I need to have a working printer? Have I got to configure CUPS
someway? I still have the Epson CUPS/Gimp driver printer set up in CUPS,
but I temporarily removed it from the printcap file now. Should I see
the pips driver in the CUPS web interface selection?
There must be something Epson is taking from granted here that I don't
know. Maybe I need to setup lpd? In Linux I remember these drivers
worked beautifully.
Could someone with a working pips driver tell me how to have a working
printer?

Thank you