Running a script during port build

Conrad J. Sabatier conrads at cox.net
Sat Nov 27 11:07:58 PST 2004

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 10:52:52 +0100, Florent Thoumie <flz at xbsd.org>
wrote:

> Conrad J. Sabatier wrote:
> > On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 18:18:34 -0600, "Conrad J. Sabatier"
> > <conrads at cox.net> wrote:
> >>
> >>I'm trying to get a script to run as part of an update to
> >>games/gnuchess (to optionally create the opening book for gnuchess).
> >>
> >>I've placed the script under games/gnuchess/scripts as
> >>"pre-install", but it never seems to be getting invoked.
> >>
> >>Has the use of a scripts dir for ports been deprecated?  If not,
> >>what does it take to get the script to actually be run?
> >
> > I should add that the reason I'm asking is because I tried simply
> > invoking the script from the Makefile, but none of the port
> > environment variables (such as $DISTDIR, etc.) are exported to the
> > script.
> >
> > What's the preferred way of doing this?
>
>      I think you should look at ${SCRIPTS_ENV}.
>
>      There's a lot of ports using this, net/gnu-radius seems to be a
>      good example for what you're trying to do.

Thanks.  Actually, I already worked out another (perhaps less "correct")
way of doing this, and already submitted a send-pr for the update to the
port, but I'll still look at this for future reference.

This seems to be one glaring deficiency in the Porter's Handbook, by the
way.  I couldn't find any references at all to using scripts in a port.

--
Conrad J. Sabatier <conrads at cox.net> -- "In Unix veritas"