question about new ports

Eugene M. Minkovskii emin at mccme.ru
Wed Nov 24 07:22:59 PST 2004

Hello friends!

Now I made new port. It's not hard: this is russian-english
dictionary, nothing to compile --- just extract some archive and
put some files into FreeBSD hier(7). (And patching something of
course.) But I have two trouble:

1) Program's author put some files into /usr/local hier, and some
   other files (phonetic fonts) into /usr/X11R6 hier. I can't put
   dictionaries into /usr/X11R6 because it's may be executed
   whitout X11. And I don't know, can I put phonetic fonts into
   /usr/local/lib/fonts directory, does it right?

   There are not problem if I put the fonts into /usr/local, but
   this may be wrong? Author writing about file-placing, that
   they are corresponding FHS (File Hierarchy Standard).

   And if I put fonts into /usr/X11R6/lib/fonts, there are other
   trouble: I must use names in pkg-plist relative PREFIX, but
   there are two PREFIX used: LOCALBASE for dictionarys and
   scripts, and X11BASE for fonts...

2) I make my port sensitive to WITHOUT_X11 variable. If it's
   set to "yes" I don't install some useless files (font's and
   TK scripts). What should I write into pkg-plist? I read about
   %%variable%% but I don't need to change some path in pkg-plist
   dependently from variable, --- i need to remove some files
   from this list if WITHOUT_X11 specified.

Thank you, and sorry my bad english.

--
Sensory  yours, Eugene  Minkovskii
Сенсорно ваш,   Евгений Миньковский