Slow portupgrade in 5.3-RELEASE

Sean Welch Sean_Welch at alum.wofford.org
Tue Nov 23 10:28:33 PST 2004

I just compiled portupgrade from an updated ports system 3 days ago.
I've noticed that the program is inordinately slow during the db
update phase where it displays the following:

Updating the ports index ... Generating INDEX.tmp - please wait..

By "inordinate" I mean it takes 15 to 20 minutes to complete.  This is
definitely not the case under any other revision of FreeBSD I've ever
tried to use it on...

Is anyone else seeing this?  Any suggestions as to what the problem
might be?  It seems to be spending all this time constructing INDEX
files under a subdirectory up in /tmp -- and doing it SLOWLY.

Sean