p5 -* ports

Erik Trulsson ertr1013 at student.uu.se
Fri Nov 19 07:15:42 PST 2004

On Fri, Nov 19, 2004 at 08:58:28AM +0000, Josh Paetzel wrote:
> Just throwing this out for input:
>
> Would it be useful to make a /usr/ports/perl directory and then put
> all of the p5-* ports into it for easy browsing?

Probably not.  It would be about as useful as making a /usr/ports/c++
directory and then put all the ports written in C++ into it - i.e. not
very useful.

The various ports categories are used to classify ports according to
what they *do* not what language has been used to write them.

(That being said, I believe most p5-* ports do belong to the virtual
perl5 category, so what you want could be done using some program that
allows you to browse the ports tree by virtual categories as well as
the physical ones.)

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson