Rules du jour

Maxime Ritter airmax at netlibre.info
Mon Nov 15 02:45:49 PST 2004

On Sun, Nov 14, 2004 at 07:39:37PM +0000, David du SERRE-TELMON wrote:
> Rules du jour doesn't work with SpamAssassin 3.x because of different
> sanitity checks add with SA3.
> After adding the new rules with Rules du jour, SA complains about errors
> in the syntax of the rules :
> - description is over 50 chars

That's because of rulesets which weren't updated for SA 3.0. Like mine.
(but I started shortening the description).

> - description exists for non-existent rule

This might hide a real bug.

> - score set for non-existent rule

Yeah, must be with my airmax.cf. I change the score of some rulesets I
really don't like, such as :
score     SARE_FREE_WEBM_FrYahoo   0
(can't understand the guy who wrote this kind of rule, because these
free webmails aren't evil).
Consequently, if you use airmax.cf (or my french ruleset), but you don't use
the ruleset which contains the rules I desactive (such as SARE header), the
linting process shows many of this warning.
So, in the case you use airmax.cf, it might be safely ignored.

IMHO, if the new given score is zero (ie desactivating the rule), the
non-existent rule warning should not be shown. Or maybe adding a way to
change the score only if it exist to SA ?

> I think these warnings can be safely ignored. This can be done by
> updating the SA Perl parser and disable the call of the function lint_check.

No, don't do this !
The linting process is very usefull for some real bugs (like an invalid
regex). If you want to do something, you might just disable the "description
is over 50 chars" and the "score set for non-existent rule" checks.

> I think, this tip should be add in the README file of Rule du Jour and
> in the port of Rule du jour. This change the code of SA, I don't think
> we could

IMHO, the proper way to do it, would be to add an option to SA code to
disable/enable these checks.

> Also, this message is for Chris, it could be a good idea to add this
> rule in the default script :
> http://maxime.ritter.eu.org/Spam/french_rules.cf

Of course, I agree, it would be a good idea. But please, don't do automatic
downloading on this host. Use the mirror instead :
-> http://airmex.nerim.net/rule-get/french_rules.cf
The mirror is upgraded in real time.

-> http://airmex.nerim.net/rule-get/airmax.cf

Maxime Ritter - http://maxime.ritter.eu.org - maxime at ritter.eu.org