HEADSUP: INDEX[-5] files were removed from CVS.

Benjamin Lutz benlutz at datacomm.ch
Sun Nov 14 10:47:43 PST 2004

This change is most annoying. I'm not questioning the decision, I'm sure
that a lot of people who know the ports system much better than I do have
discussed it in-depth, but I would like to state that this change was
done in an ungraceful and disruptive manner.

I noticed that something was different when my portupgrade suddenly took
ages. There being *nothing* about this in UPGRADING didn't exactly help
either. Next time, can't you please give an advance warning (a HEADSUP
mail to the mailing lists is enough, but please do it a few days before
you change things). Also, an UPGRADING entry is a must. And if would have
been extra considerate if you had waited with this change until that new
index generator tool was in the ports. Some of the machines I admin are
very weak, and make index is just not practical. Granted, make fetchindex
works, but how is that an improvement over having the INDEX in CVS.

As for an always out of date INDEX - I'd rather have an INDEX file that I
know only gets updated every few weeks, but which works and which I don't
have to worry about.

Well, I guess giving people some incentive to think about how to improve
the ports system is a good thing. Would have been nice though if that
incentive had been a carrot instead of a pitch fork though.

Benjamin