portupgrade problem

Michael Nottebrock michaelnottebrock at gmx.net
Sat Nov 13 09:38:32 PST 2004

Mark Linimon wrote:

> Since we've never told porters that they can't cross-depend on
> categories,

Not sure I get you right here. Are you saying we should forbid for a port in
category a to depend on a port in category b? That doesn't seem to make much
sense.

> we can't really fuss at them for having done so.  Again,
> I personally consider it a bug that japenese is depended on,

I'd say it depends on the application and why the dependency is needed. FWIW,
the fact that INDEX building with incomplete portstrees is not supported
stands. Now that the cvsup-supplied indices are gone, more people will become
aware of that fact (or the fetchindex target :), that's all.

    ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi at freebsd.org