portindex -- the second coming.

Angelo Turetta aturetta at commit.it
Tue Nov 2 03:42:53 PST 2004

Matthew Seaman wrote:
> Slightly later than planned (real life getting in the way I'm afraid),
> here's the third (and I hope final) beta version:
>
>     http://www.infracaninophile.co.uk/portindex/portindex-0.3.tar.bz2
>
> This incorporates various bug fixes and feedback from earlier versions.

May I suggest trying to read as many settings as possible from
/usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf?

I'm thinking mainly about MAKE_ARGS (that most often change the
dependency lists of specific ports) and the various system paths:

(quoting from pkgtools.conf)
   #   ENV['PORTSDIR'] ||= '/usr/ports'
   #   ENV['PORTS_INDEX'] ||= ENV['PORTSDIR'] + '/INDEX'
   #   ENV['PORTS_DBDIR'] ||= ENV['PORTSDIR']

The latter can (and should) also be set as make.conf or environment
variables, but anyway the tool should take the issue into account one
way or the other.

The reason for this request is to simplify the maintenance of a single
ports repository NFS-mounted from various architecures/OS versions.

Thanks for your work.
Angelo Turetta