RFC: Utilizing EXAMPLESDIR

Hideyuki KURASHINA rushani at FreeBSD.org
Sat May 29 10:47:51 PDT 2004

Hi,

About a half year ago, I've submitted some problem reports related to
configuration file layout:

  ports/58385
    http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/58385
  ports/58386
    http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/58386
  ports/58387
    http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/58387

In current situation, example configuration files come from certain ports
are located at ${PREFIX}/etc/ with prefix `.sample', `.default' or `.dist'
(this naming rule depends on each port).  Also, it is clear that this
complexity will increase at a rate proportional to number of installed ports.

I think following structure is better to improve visibility:

  configuration file        -> ${PREFIX}/etc
  sample configuration file -> ${PREFIX}/share/examples/${PORTNAME}

Is there any reason why we do not utilize EXAMPLESDIR yet in some cases?

Comments or suggestions are welcome.

Regards,

-- rushani