Where to put my own startup script (/etc/rc.local ?)

Thomas-Martin Seck tmseck-lists at netcologne.de
Wed May 26 15:58:45 PDT 2004

* Bruce M Simpson <bms at spc.org> [gmane.os.freebsd.current]:

[Moving this to -ports for a general discussion]

> On Tue, May 25, 2004 at 02:08:12PM -0700, Kevin Oberman wrote:
>> You can put them in /usr/local/etc/rc.d or /etc/rc.d. The former is the
>> more acceptable and should be used if the startup can be run at the end
>> of the startup.
>
> Take a look at the net-mgmt/snmptt port I just committed. This borrows from
> the net/quagga port in the area of rc script placement - showing how to
> place it in an appropriate location depending on OSVERSION.

Why? I do not think ports should be allowed to install stuff directly to
DESTDIR instead of PREFIX (OpenLDAP might be an exception because it
might be needed very early in the boot phase). It's bad enough that
third party run scripts can live in ${X11PREFIX}/etc/rc.d and
${PREFIX}/etc/rc.d already, please don't offer them /etc/rc.d, too.