Yet another user with subversion building problems (WITH_PERL breakage)

Christopher Nehren apeiron at comcast.net
Sun May 23 23:32:52 PDT 2004

On Fri, May 21, 2004 at 07:32:06 EDT, Kay Lehmann scribbled these
curious markings:
> This looks like an error I become when trying to build koffice with wv2
> enabled. I saw this with other kde-apps I tried to port, too. It seems
> to be a libtool-problem. In one case I was able to work around this by
> defining another libtool-version using USE_LIBTOOL_VER variable in
> Makefile, but this did not work for all ports in my case. Maybe you
> should give it a try, maybe this suggestion is completly silly, since I
> do not really understood all this libtool-stuff till now.

Since that box will never run anything even remotely related to X, I
don't know if it would have the same problems. However, my 5.2.1 box has
built koffice with wv2 support just fine.

> Does not look like it is an user error to me.

Interestingly enough, the whole process -- SWIG included -- works fine
if I deinstall PHP. Oh well. With PLP (hopefully :) ) soon to be in the
ports tree, that won't be that big of a deal, though I'd like to see it
work for those with PHP. Just to make sure that it's not my setup, can
someone who's been watching this thread try to replicate the situation?
A summary:

Install lang/php4 , www/apache2 , www/mod_perl2, lang/perl5.8. Try to
install devel/subversion with these options:
WITH_PERL WITH_MOD_DAV_SVN

For me, the build breaks first with devel/swig-13 with a libphp4 error.
I fixed that (read: removed any trace of PHP from the makefile), and
then it died elsewhere in the Subversion build process with some
strange errors.

> Btw.: To those who know more about libtool and freinds: These errors
> seem to be -stable related.

See above.

pejorative meaning "stupid and unsophisticated".  -- Ken Thompson
-
-
Please CC me in all replies, even if I'm on the relevant list(s).