portupgrade and daemons.

Josef Karthauser joe at FreeBSD.org
Sun May 23 03:13:20 PDT 2004

A number of ports run daemons, such as postfix, which are started in
/usr/local/tc/rc.d.  Portupgrade doesn't appear to know anything about
these, and so it will quite happily attempt to upgrade a daemon that is
still running.  Idealally it ought to DTRT, which I guess is some
combination of shutdow the existing port down, upgrade it and then
restart it.  There are some rudiments of knowledge about rc.d/ scripts
built into the Mk subsystem so I wonder whether it's possible to hook
into that in some way.

Thoughts welcome.

Joe
--