[Fwd: Re: Two questions about making ports]

Kay Lehmann kay_lehmann at web.de
Sun May 23 01:16:19 PDT 2004

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Two questions about making ports
Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 09:52:10 +0200
From: Kay Lehmann <Kay.Lehmann at TU-Berlin.de>
Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc

NO SPAM wrote:
> Hi everyone, I'm trying to port a linux software onto FreeBSD. And I
> found two problems that I can't solve. I would appreciate if anyone can
> help.
>
> 1. Can a plist contain an absolute path or files outside of the prefix?
> This software has a gtk im module. No matter what prefix I give, this
> module always goes to ${X11BASE}. However, the software seems to work
> only in the same prefix as gettext's, which is ${LOCALBASE}. So I just
> wonder how can I make this plist.

The ports should respect the given prefix. Normally you can find
hardcoded paths in Makefile.in or configure and you can replace them
using a patch or sed in the ports Makefile.

> 2. This software has a very strange problem. I tested it on 5-CURRENT
> and 5.2.1-R. On CURRENT system everything seems OK but on 5.2.1-R I got
> the following error:
>
> Fatal error 'Unable to read from thread kernel pipe' at line 1100 in
> file /usr/src/lib/libc_r/uthread/uthread_kern.c (errno = 0)
>
> It seems that this software hates lc_r but loves lpthread/lkse. Should
> this be a software problem or system threading library problem?

Try using $PTHREAD_FLAGS. There are quite a lot ports you can look at
how to handle this. I think there was some changes to bsd.kde.mk
yesterday regarding this problem. Maybe you find some nice examples
about correct thread-handling in there. This problem occurs, when your
port uses different threading-libs than other libs it is linked to. So
you should fix this, too , before send-pr.

> Thanks again.

Greets,
Kay