Two questions about making ports

Jie Gao gaoj at cpsc.ucalgary.ca
Sat May 22 20:03:42 PDT 2004

Hi everyone, I'm trying to port a linux software onto FreeBSD. And I
found two problems that I can't solve. I would appreciate if anyone can
help.

1. Can a plist contain an absolute path or files outside of the prefix?
This software has a gtk im module. No matter what prefix I give, this
module always goes to ${X11BASE}. However, the software seems to work
only in the same prefix as gettext's, which is ${LOCALBASE}. So I just
wonder how can I make this plist.

2. This software has a very strange problem. I tested it on 5-CURRENT
and 5.2.1-R. On CURRENT system everything seems OK but on 5.2.1-R I got
the following error:

    Fatal error 'Unable to read from thread kernel pipe' at line 1100 in
    file /usr/src/lib/libc_r/uthread/uthread_kern.c (errno = 0)

It seems that this software hates lc_r but loves lpthread/lkse. Should
this be a software problem or system threading library problem?

Thanks again.

Jie