${PORTSDIR}/LEGAL rewrite

Clement Laforet sheepkiller at cultdeadsheep.org
Sat May 22 14:51:10 PDT 2004

Hi everybody,

As some of you may have noticed, I played with ${PORTSDIR}/LEGAL today.
This file is, IMHO, useless, since it's too human-readable (i.e. it's
unusable if you want to use a script based on it).
Futhermore, it's outdated, inaccurate and nobody really knows how it
works.
As far as I know, it's only used for website copyright section
(http://www.freebsd.org/copyright/LEGAL).

We should convert it to a new format "a la INDEX".
Like this one:

samples:
games/actx|actx-*|contains commercial|character data
games/adom|adom-*|Copy of CD must be sent toauthor
games/alephone-data|AlephOne-*|Don't sell for profit
security/altivore|altivore.c|No redistribution allowed
etc.

Multiple distfiles patterns can be supported with ";" as FS.
What I propose to do:
1. Convert LEGAL to new format
2. Write a LEGAL -> LEGAL.html converter for www build
3. Adapt LEGALlint.pl to check LEGAL and remove restricted files from
   ${DISTDIR}

Comments?

clem