Up-to-date INDEXes may now be downloaded from www.freebsd.org

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Mon May 17 06:00:14 PDT 2004

On Mon, May 17, 2004 at 10:33:05AM +0300, Ion-Mihai Tetcu wrote:
> On Sun, 16 May 2004 18:49:25 -0700
> Kris Kennaway <kris at obsecurity.org> wrote:
>
> > Up-to-date INDEX files may now be downloaded from the following
> > locations:
> >
> > 4.x:
> >   http://www.FreeBSD.org/ports/INDEX
> >
> > 5.x:
> >   http://www.FreeBSD.org/ports/INDEX-5
>
> Hurray !
> This will save about 40 minutes on my building machine.
>
> > These are updated once an hour upon the successful completion of the
> > INDEX tinderbox builds.  They are built for the top of the RELENG_4
> > and HEAD branches, but will mostly be suitable for other supported
> > releases as well.
> >
> > Now that this service is in place, INDEX files will probably only be
> > updated in the CVS repository for release builds.
>
> Could you explain this ? I think my English plays me a trick and I don't
> understand what this mean. If I cvsup do I get the last good INDEX /
> INDEX-5 ? Or it's the opposite ?

In the past INDEX files have only been updated in CVS very
infrequently (once a month or more).  It's never been the case that
cvsup gives you "the last good INDEX".

Updating INDEXes once a month was pretty useless for most purposes
since users either don't need to use the INDEX, or need it to be
up-to-date.  The only remaining need for INDEX files in CVS is for
releases, so that release users get the INDEX file for that ports
collection.

> BTW, is there any reason for which new things like pointyhat.freebsd.org
> are not introduced to the "large public" ?

Yes, because pointyhat is still in beta :)

Kris