Up-to-date INDEXes may now be downloaded from www.freebsd.org

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Mon May 17 01:29:04 PDT 2004

On Mon, May 17, 2004 at 10:58:19AM +0300, Ion-Mihai Tetcu wrote:
> On Mon, 17 May 2004 10:33:05 +0300
> Ion-Mihai Tetcu <itetcu at apropo.ro> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 16 May 2004 18:49:25 -0700
> > Kris Kennaway <kris at obsecurity.org> wrote:
> >
> > > Up-to-date INDEX files may now be downloaded from the following
> > > locations:
> > >
> > > 4.x:
> > >   http://www.FreeBSD.org/ports/INDEX
> > >
> > > 5.x:
> > >   http://www.FreeBSD.org/ports/INDEX-5
> >
> > Hurray !
> > This will save about 40 minutes on my building machine.
>
> Oh, and besides using  "Last-Modified:" HTTP header is there any way to
> find out if one need to fetch it or not ?

I don't really understand what you mean by "needing to fetch" the

If you require an up-to-date INDEX (e.g. you're currently using
portsdb -uU) then you now have the option to download it instead of
building it yourself, although you won't get an index that is
customized for your installed ports.

Kris