FreeBSD Port: bacula-1.32f5 -> 1.3.4 updating destroys prior bacula conf files

Ben Bangert ben at knowledgetap.com
Thu May 13 22:38:45 PDT 2004

On May 13, 2004, at 10:11 PM, Lars Köller wrote:

> There is a problem in the portssystem and portupdate to handle conf
> files with a different MD5 sum correctly.
>
> I miss to bypass this in the port of bacula up to 1.32f5. No a
> workaround is implemented.
>
> The problem only occur with portupdrade, not make deinstall and
> pkg_delete! The last one are my way to upgrade such an complex thing
> like bacula, which holds all by important data .....
>
> But I think after this nice email of you it's time to give the
> maintainership over to you to make it much better. Can you imagine how
> much work it is to stay with current versions of bacula and test the
> various possible configurations basically?

Sorry Lars. I was rather frustrated by having the files removed. Since
it had never happened before with any other port, during any other
portupgrade I've ever encountered, I assumed there was a standard port
template that took care of this. I'm also wondering about the version
issue. Portupgrade upped me to 1.3.4, not 1.32f5 as you mentioned. Is
1.3.4 maintained by you?

It isn't so much that the files were wiped, I just was expecting a
notification of it. I've been using ports for years, and portupgrade
for quite awhile too, never had a portupgrade wipe a file. Many people
use portupgrade, so I was under the assumption it would be tested with
it. It took me several hours to rebuild my bacula catalog so I could
restore my old config files.

Many assumptions involved, obviously some weren't warranted.

Sorry again Lars,
Ben