FreeBSD Port: vim-6.2.531

Michael Edenfield kutulu at kutulu.org
Sun May 9 18:07:47 PDT 2004

* Kris Kennaway <kris at obsecurity.org> [040509 20:00]:
> On Sun, May 09, 2004 at 12:34:43PM -0400, Dwayne MacKinnon wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > 	I just wanted to let you know about a problem I've been having for a while
> > now with the vim port. If I use the WITH_TCL flag, the build breaks. I've
> > included the output from the build.
> >
> > 	Thought I'd take the opportunity to say "thanks" for maintaining the vim
> > port. Definitely my favorite editor out there.
>
> Thanks for this bug report.  I have been seeing this error on bento
> for some time, but David hadn't been able to figure out what caused
> it.  Hopefully this bug report should allow him to fix it now.

The bug here is that, when vim reads the TCL_DEFS flags from
tclConfig.sh, it splits the TCL_DEFS variable on each space and throws
away the ones it doesn't need.  But the TCL_WIDE_INT_TYPE is usually
listed as "long\ long", which tr splits into:

-DTCL_WIDE_INT_TYPE=long\
long

and then leaves that second 'long' along, ultimately putting it into
CFLAGS.  That's why gcc thinks there's an extra file on the command
line.

Oddly enough, I have 3 machines running -CURRENT with identical Tcl
builds, and only two of them show this problem.  All three of them,
however, have the 'long\ long' definition.  I'm still puzzling that one
out.  In the mean time, I have submitted a PR with a patch that lets me
build on the two that break.

--Mike