FreePKG: An alternative to the pkg_* tools

Jeremy Lea reg at FreeBSD.ORG
Tue May 4 09:04:15 PDT 2004

Hi,

On Tue, May 04, 2004 at 11:13:33PM +0800, Erich Dollansky wrote:
> >I have no intention of initiating any attempt to get these tools
> >imported into FreeBSD.  I've decided on a very different approach to the
> >Ports/Packages collection to the way that things appear to be going.
> >However, these tools are functional, and some people might find them
> >useful.  Additional developers/testers would be most welcome.
>
> So, how can a normal FreeBSD user make use of the tools?

Yes, I suppose that would be useful information. :-)  The following
steps are needed.  Since this is alpha quality at the moment, I would
not use this on anything which you have to have...

1. Download and build a CVS version of the tools from:

cvs -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/fpkg login
[Enter blank password]
cvs -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/fpkg co freepkg
cd freepkg
make && make install

These tools currently install into /root/bin.  I should change that to
/usr/sbin or /usr/local/sbin.  The tools are named fpkg* to not conflict
with the FreeBSD versions.  Change Makefile.inc to change the install
path.

2. Download and patch bsd.port.mk

cd /tmp
fetch http://fpkg.sourceforge.net/bsd.port.mk-fpkg.patch
cd /usr/ports/Mk/
patch -I < /tmp/bsd.port.mk-fpkg.patch

Change the path to the tools (search for PKG_CMD) if you changed it
above.

3. The bad news: Rebuild all your ports, so that the new tools are
   used...

Regards,
  -Jeremy

--
FreeBSD - Because the best things in life are free...
                                           http://www.freebsd.org/