perl 5.8.3

Palle Girgensohn girgen at pingpong.net
Tue Mar 30 17:22:46 PST 2004

--On tisdag, mars 30, 2004 14.13.37 -0500 Vivek Khera <vivek at khera.org>
wrote:

> On Mar 30, 2004, at 1:31 PM, Palle Girgensohn wrote:
>
>> There are a couple of identical updates for this port in gnats.
>> <http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr-summary.cgi?
>> text=perl5.8+to+5.8.3>. Perhaps someone can find the time to look at
>> them and commit?
>>

> We had a big discussion about this on March 24 and 25 on this list.

So I see, sorry, should have checked first. Still, not much info in that
thread, though.

I've had a bad experience also, where textproc/p5-XML-Parser does not work
when gcc is 2.95.4 (FreeBSD 4-STABLE). Setting CC=gcc33 fixes this, so I
guess it is a bit more complicated than the PR:s say (of course, otherwise
they would've been committed). What implication do we get if we set
USE_GCC=3.x in the perl5.8/Makefile?

/Palle