portsdb issues / make index failure -- SOLVED

Frank Knobbe frank at knobbe.us
Mon Mar 29 20:58:23 PST 2004

On Mon, 2004-03-29 at 19:09, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> I can't see anything in this or some of the other ports you mentioned
> (namazu2) that might cause problems.  My best guess is that something is still
> non-standard about your system, but I can't do better than that.

Kris,

I finally found the problem to the make index problem I was having. The
issue was that make index barfs with:

> Warning: Duplicate INDEX entry: *** Error code 1
> Warning: Duplicate INDEX entry:

make describe barfs with:

> ===> databases/namazu2
> *** Error code 1
> Stop in /usr/ports/databases.
> *** Error code 1
> Stop in /usr/ports.

The problem turned out to be the NOPORTDOCS flag in my /etc/make.conf.
With that flag present (hoping not to waste space on port
documentation), the make index build fails since... uhm... sometime
beginning of February.

However, with NOPORTDOCS commented out in /etc/make.conf, the make index
(and portdb command) run without any errors (except the usual missing
dependencies for other languages).

I'm posting this to the lists as well in case someone else has the same
issue. Anyone with "make index" problems is encouraged to remove the
NOPORTDOCS flag and try again.

Regards,
Frank

--
Warning at the Gates of Bill:
Abandon hope, all ye who press <ENTER> here...