cvs commit: ports/devel/libvanessa_adt Makefile pkg-plist ports/devel/libvanessa_adt/files patch-ltmain.sh

Doug Barton DougB at FreeBSD.org
Sat Mar 27 01:31:32 PST 2004

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004, Ade Lovett wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Mar 2004 06:27:59 +0100
> Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock at gmx.net> wrote:
>
> > libltdl, USE_LIBTOOL, lt_dlopen(), life, the universe and everything
> > and then condense it again so it will fit in the porter's handbook
> > somewhere, but it might take some time - I suck at writing concise
> > documentation. :)
>
> FWIW, under the new world order, the generation and installation
> (through libtool) of .la files will become the default ON, with a
> specific knob to turn them off.
>
> I count about 3,600 inodes (rough guess) of .la files (assuming an
> entire ports tree install, and with some very crud math), vs. the
> apparent usefulness of these files, not only for the "plugin thing", but
> also increasingly for IDE's.

To me, this discussion is leading to the following conclusions:

1. The committer's handbook should describe why the .la files are
useful, and state clearly that they should be preserved in the ports.
2. None of the ports tools (such as portlint) should suggest otherwise.

Doug