nss_ldap broken?

Sean McNeil sean at mcneil.com
Fri Mar 26 01:59:07 PST 2004

Hi everyone,

I've sent this to -current but think it belongs here as well (or more
appropriately)....

I'm getting frustrated trying to figure out what is wrong here.  I get
seg 11 on any program that initializes the nss_ldap module but doesn't
actually use it.  For instance, I have both passwd and group looking at
"files ldap".  So if I do something like

ls -l /

it works with no problem as I have a directory in there with a group
only in ldap.  But if I do

ls -l /etc

I will get a seg11...

#0  0x28214800 in ?? ()
#1  0x2816bdb5 in _nsdbtput () from /lib/libc.so.5
#2  0x2818e95b in __cxa_finalize () from /lib/libc.so.5
#3  0x2818e67c in exit () from /lib/libc.so.5
#4  0x08049b68 in free ()
#5  0x08049279 in free ()

I've looked at the nss_atexit and can't see what could possibly be the
problem.  There is only one thing I can think of (just came to mind
while writing this).  The lock nss_lock seems to be kept after
nss_configure and never released unless a call to dispatch is called
where it will lock then unlock.  Yet this would appear to be the same
for any of the builtins.

Does anyone have any insight into what this might be?  I would love to
have it working again.

Thanks all,
Sean