perl 5.8.3 in ports

Marwan Burelle Marwan.Burelle at lri.fr
Wed Mar 24 12:18:45 PST 2004

On Wed, Mar 24, 2004 at 02:09:39PM -0500, Vivek Khera wrote:
> I've seen this question asked before, but either I missed the response
> or there was none...
>
> Is an upgrade to the perl in ports to version 5.8.3 in the works?  It
> seems that FreeBSD is lagging behind other systems in having a
> convenient package of this available.
>
> In particular, RT <http://www.bestpractical.com/> pretty much requires
> 5.8.3 to operate properly.
>
> Is there any benefit of using the port/package for perl now that 5.x
> doesn't have any perl in the base system anyway?  Ie, the incentive to
> have the port fix up the links so that the system installed perl won't
> be used by accident is pretty much gone.  The only drawback is that any
> port requiring perl will have no place in which to register that
> dependency.
>
> What are others doing who need the updated perl?  I'm trying to decide
> to wait a bit longer for the port or just go ahead and install 5.8.3
> from source.

Update your port !

Extract from ports/UPDATING

20040204:
  AFFECTS: 5.2-CURRENT users who started with a 5.2-RELEASE or older.

  Change the default version of perl to 5.8.

  1) Force perl-5.6.1 to be upgraded with perl-5.8.
        portupgrade -o lang/perl5.8 -f perl-5.6.1_15

  2) Update all p5-* modules.
        portupgrade -f p5-\*

So, now, use lang/perl5.8 instead of lang/perl5 (and every things that
needs perl wil use it.)

--
Burelle Marwan,
Equipe Bases de Donnees - LRI