cvs commit: ports/devel/libvanessa_adt Makefile pkg-plist ports/devel/libvanessa_adt/files patch-ltmain.sh

Pav Lucistnik pav at FreeBSD.org
Wed Mar 24 08:57:23 PST 2004

V st, 24. 03. 2004 v 17:50, David O'Brien píše:

> > > clement     2004/03/23 08:08:33 PST
> > >   FreeBSD ports repository
> > >   Modified files:
> > >     devel/libvanessa_adt Makefile pkg-plist
> > >   Added files:
> > >     devel/libvanessa_adt/files patch-ltmain.sh
> > >   Log:
> > >   - kill .la files
> > >   - bump PORTREVISION
> > I object to both of the stated purposes for this commit. First, it's
> > been discussed to death that 1. .la files sometimes serve a useful
> > purpose, and 2. deleting them does not serve a useful purpose. Second,
> > if a user has the port installed already, a bumped PORTREVISION would
> > suggest to them that there is some benefit in deleting the existing port
> > and reinstalling. Here that is clearly not the case.
>
> Agreed WRT bumping PORTREVISION.  Why does it seem almost all ports
> committers today think PORTREVISION must be bumped with ever single
> commit??  This does nothing but cause unnecessary great churn when using
> pkg_version and portupgrade.

PORTREVISION should be raised when there's a change (even minor) in the
package. Axing a file from plist is a good reason for PORTREVISION
raise.

--
Pav Lucistnik <pav at oook.cz>
              <pav at FreeBSD.org>

Shop at the Mobius Strip Mall: Always on the same side of the street!