qmail-scanner really out of date

Simon Barner barner at in.tum.de
Sun Mar 21 18:56:12 PST 2004

Hi,

> Since the port is about 10 weeks old and in the world of viruses that is
> equal to a lifetime, I would like to volunteer to help keep this port up
> to date.
>
> Moreover, a lot of nice improvements have taken place with qmail-scanner
> recently (like scanning for assword protected .zip files)
> see http://qmail-scanner.sourceforge.net/CHANGES

First, you should ask the maintainer freebsd at simplerezo.com whether he
plans to update the port in some point in the near future. You could
also provide him with a patch (see the Porter's Handbook[1] for more
information about that).

If he says that he has not enough time to keep up with the virus scanner
updates, you could offer him to take over the maintainership of the
port -- of course, given, that you can do better than him.

In any case, just talk to the maintainer...

Regards,
 Simon

[1] file:///usr/share/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/
    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/