mozilla and bind

Oliver Eikemeier eikemeier at fillmore-labs.com
Sun Mar 21 01:12:49 PST 2004

Doug Barton wrote:

> Oliver Eikemeier wrote:
>
>>Since this may still overwrite the include files without changing the
>>PKGNAME,
>>it seems like a good idea to keep the build conflicts with bind8-base
>>ports.
>>
>>Moreover we can run into problems if the port is installed with
>>PORT_REPLACES_BASE_BIND8_INCLUDES, without PORT_REPLACES_BASE_BIND8 and
>>/usr/local/include is in the path.
>
> The version I committed this morning included defining
> PORT_REPLACES_BASE_BIND8 if PORT_REPLACES_BASE_BIND8_INCLUDES was
> defined. For last night I wanted to get the user something to test, but
> I do appreciate you bringing up this concern.

Currently the problem the problem only shifted from people installing the
port with PORT_REPLACES_BASE_BIND8 to PORT_REPLACES_BASE_BIND8_INCLUDES,
which will be admittedly less users.

The commit does not really solve the problems. May I suggest one of the
following:

- issue a big, fat warning what problems will occur if the port is
  installed with PORT_REPLACES_BASE_BIND8_INCLUDES, including a way
  to restore the previous state in case of problems

- add another PKGNAMESUFFIX, so that ports known to conflict with this
  installation could test for it

Thanks
    Oliver