Kdebase 3.2.1 fails to upgrade

Michael Dunham michaeldunham at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 17 08:16:11 PST 2004

Michael Nottebrock wrote:

>>>I'm not sure, but my guess is that at one point you had x11/libXau
>>>installed and your old kde installation picked libXau.so up and linked
>>>against it - but XFree86-4-libraries only installs libXau.a. Please try:
>>>
>>>pkg_delete -f kdebase\* libX\* XFree86-libraries\*
>>>
>>>Then portinstall kdebase. If this succeeds, you should be able to
>>>continue with the portupgrade.
>>>

>>The problem is libXau has an incomplete pkg-plist which forgot the
>>libXau.la <- this got picked up and points to libXau.so (which won't
>>exist if you simply remove libXau port)
>>

>I see. I really think all those libX* ports need some overhauling - and, most
>importantly, CONFLICTS with XFree86-libraries, kde@ has been getting reports
>about hosed libX-something libraries ever since those ports arrived. Any
>takers?

Ok - I deleted kdebase and XFree86-libraries successfully. I don't have
any libX ports installed currently, although I believe something
installed libXext at some point in the past and I do see the libXext
installed=yes come up compiles.  I don't know enough about libXext to
know if that is related but it doesn't show up as an installed port.  I
also took the step of cleaning out past work files and updating my ports
tree.  I started the portinstall of kdebase and it successfully
installed the required XFree86-libraries and finally failed with the
same error while working on kdebase. Of course, because kdebase is
deleted, KDE now fails to run.

So, I'm ready for another idea.  The only thing I can think of is a
complete reinstall of XFree86 but I don't know if that would solve it.
If there was a simple symbolic link I could kill or some other pruning I
could do it would seem more direct but I don't know where to start and
it probably isn't that simple.

Thoughts?

thanks

Mike