INDEX user-friendliness and SMP speed-up patch

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Mon Mar 15 21:40:38 PST 2004

On Mon, Mar 15, 2004 at 04:30:22PM +0100, Dag-Erling Sm?rgrav wrote:
> Kris Kennaway <kris at obsecurity.org> writes:
> > * Allows parallel INDEX builds (using make -j).  The most obvious way
> >   of doing this doesn't work, because I/O from child makes is broken up
> >   into 2k chunks, and output lines from 'make describe' that exceed this
> >   length (*cough* GNOME *cough*) will be intertwined with the output of
> >   other makes, leading to a corrupted INDEX.  Instead, I collect the
> >   output from the child make processes in temporary files and
> >   recombine them at the end.
>
> Doesn't make -P work as advertised?

Actually, it doesn't seem like it's useable for me:

* It's extra-chatty on stdout, so I'd need to filter out the extra
crap it thinks I need to know:

rot26# make -P -j1 describe | more
Remaking `_accessibility.describe'
Results of making _accessibility.describe:

===> accessibility
===> accessibility/at-spi
at-spi-1.3.15|/usr/ports/accessibility/at-spi|/usr/X11R6|An Assistive Technology Service Provider Interface|/usr/ports/acce[...]

* It redirects stderr to stdout, so I don't have a way of catching the
error output to present to the user.

Kris