default OPTIONS aren't the default when BATCH is set

Oliver Eikemeier eikemeier at fillmore-labs.com
Sat Mar 13 06:54:02 PST 2004

Thomas-Martin Seck wrote:

> * Sergey Matveychuk <sem at ciam.ru> [gmane.os.freebsd.devel.ports]:
>

>>There is a workaround while it's not fixed:
>>OPTIONS=        SOME_DEFAULT "..." on
>>WITH_SOME_DEFAULT?=     yes
>
> That looks bogus to me. The ?= does not make sense for variables
> which are checked for definedness only (?= is the same as = since you
> cannot 'unset' the variable on the commandline) and IMO it is sufficient
> to fix the port's options parser to check for WITHOUT_OPTION_FOO when
> 'foo' defaults to 'on'. At least this is how I do it in my ports.

The whole WITHOUT_* stuff is a misfeature IMHO. What options do I get
when I do

  cd textproc/libxml2; make WITHOUT_PYTHON=yes WITH_SCHEMA=yes WITH_XMLLINT_HIST=yes

(which I have in pkgtools.conf). Now I (and lots of other port users)
are chasing ports that are early adaptors of buggy features. Not very
pleasing.

Sorry for the rant, but have you every considered how many man hours
of work you generate when you change WITH_X to WITHOUT_X?

-Oliver