A question about dependencies

Michael Nottebrock michaelnottebrock at gmx.net
Tue Jun 29 23:09:17 PDT 2004

On Wednesday 30 June 2004 06:03, Alexander Nedotsukov wrote:

> By default libxml2/xslt installs two components C library and Python
> bindings. Python is an inpterpreter wich is *run-time* required to use
> bindings mentioned above.

You have the semantics of RUN_DEPENDS backwards.

It's unfortunate the upstream developers chose to not distribute the python
bindings separately from libxml2/libxslt, it's more unfortunate the freebsd
ports don't either (there's not any other ports/packages system I'm aware of
which does this).

I can quite sympathize however - KDE does similar things in many places (and
so do the KDE ports in FreeBSD) and it hurts plenty to make the initial
conversion to more atomicity and it hurts more to make it so that
maintainence overhead will not increase. It's still a good thing to tackle
eventually and it yields a nice plugable binary package as a bonus. Of
course, somebody needs to do it and deal with the loose ends - perhaps this
thread will be inspiration enough for a yet unknown volunteer.

   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi at freebsd.org