Ports with version numbers going backwards: devel/ode

Sergey Matveychuk sem at ciam.ru
Tue Jun 29 00:57:37 PDT 2004

Chuck Swiger wrote:

> Consider perl-5.006 versus perl-5.6.  Should they be equal, or should

It's consequence of old perl's crazy version scheme.

> Sergy is saying .006 < .6, or ought to be, rather than equal.  Basicly,
> use the presence of a leading zero to indicate the version # should be
> considered via a decimal math comparision, rather than "version # as
> integer counter".

I thought so first. But now I see we can't do a decimal math comparision
because of ending zeros significance.

Example: .006 < .0060 < .06 < .6 < .60

If there is a zero in version number, we can't drop it. Neither leading
one nor ending one.

--
Sem.