rcNG-fy sysutils/daemontools

Andrew J Caines A.J.Caines at halplant.com
Fri Jun 25 09:20:48 PDT 2004

Norikatsu-san,

Sorry for the slow reply.

> > Even ignoring the overall ugliness of this line, the arbitrary and
> > unnecessary /bin/csh dependency prevents the use of NO_TCSH=true to make
> > systems good and pure and free from harm.
> 	Hum...  I read some daemontools's documents.  According to
> 	these, I considerd that csh was reqired.  Don't you think it?

Without addressing the issue of relevant documentation, when I was first
hit with the NO_TCSH problem I switched the startup script to sh with sh
syntax and of course it starts svscan fine (since there are no
dependencies).

As for ports which use daemontools, I only know djbdns and that doesn't
have any csh dependency AFAICT.

I would suggest that much like most low-level system oriented scripts,
Bourne shell with common syntax should be mandatory, as it is the
universal unix lowest common denominator.

If I had my way, I'd rewrite that whole ugly script.

-Andrew-