sylpheed-gtk2 updated to 0.9.11 today (PROBLEM!)

Randy Pratt rpratt1950 at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 15 13:47:57 GMT 2004

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 13:03:23 +0200
Jean-Yves Lefort <jylefort at brutele.be> wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 19:01:29 -0400
> Randy Pratt <rpratt1950 at earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 18:00:10 -0400
> > Adam McLaurin <adam.mclaurin at gmx.net> wrote:

> > > PROBLEM!
> > >
> > > Something is causing the new sylpheed to delete all the messages in
> > > select folders. It seems to not be able to detect the headers properly
> > > in some cases (says "No From" and "No Subject", though they ARE in the
> > > message source).
> > >
> > > For example, I have a "word of the day" folder that had ~370 emails in
> > > it. As soon as I clicked on it, all but ONE of the mails disappeared!
> > > They didn't go to the trash, and no error was given, but they're all
> > > gone (but ONE)! This happened in two different folders so far; now I'm
> > > scared to open any others!
> > >
> > > Obviously this is VERY bad. I will attempt to downgrade my sylpheed
> > > ASAP, but I think this is just cause to mark the port BROKEN for now.
> >
> > I had a similar thing happen.  I'll almost bet that you had
> > sylpheed running while doing portupgrade.  I'll also go a bit
> > further and bet that the ONE mail that didn't disappear was the
> > one that you were last looking at in the mail box where they
> > "vanished".
> >
> > I don't think you lost any mail.  Using an xterm, go into your
> > mail boxes and you'll probably see the mail.  If this is the case,
> > then they are there.  The mail index just needs to be updated.
> > You can do this easily by dragging a mail from another mailbox
> > to the one without entries.  Sylpheed should rebuild the index
> > and your mail will magically reappear.  If this isn't the case
> > in your situation, please excuse my noise.
> >
> > This made me add another check step to my portupgrade procedures.
> > I check the list of ports to be upgraded and if any of them are
> > currently running, I shut them down before updating.  Its probably
> > not necessary in all cases but this is now what I do.
>
> This has nothing to do with the fact that Sylpheed was running while
> portupgrading. The Sylpheed team fixed a bug in the cache code; it
> seems that it broke backwards cache compatibility.
>
> Before running the upgraded Sylpheed, remove the old cache files:
>
> 	find YOUR_MAILBOX_PATH -name '.sylpheed_*' -rm {} \;
>
> This will "resurrect" your mail.

Perhaps this should be added to /usr/ports/UPDATING ?

It may have also affected sylpheed-0.9.11 (not -gtk) since that
is the version I'm using.  That was about 2 weeks ago and moving
a mail into the affected mailbox seemed to fix it then.  Using the
above command would have been a much cleaner method.

Thanks for pointing this out.

Best regards,

Randy