port names and personal freedom

Jens Schweikhardt schweikh at schweikhardt.net
Sun Jun 13 09:40:16 GMT 2004

On Sat, Jun 12, 2004 at 09:26:53PM +0200, Oliver Eikemeier wrote:
# Dear porters,
#
# I'm just trying to add some vulnerabilities to the list that have been
# forgotten recently. In this process I had to discover that we have a
# new trend to creative naming in the ports tree. We have funny names like
#
#   www/apache13-modperl -> apache+mod_perl-1.3.31
# (LATEST_LINK=apache+mod_perl)
#
#   mail/sendmail-ldap -> sendmail+tls+sasl2+ldap-8.12.11
# (LATEST_LINK=sendmail+tls+sasl2+ldap)
#
#   net/samba3 (LATEST_LINK=samba-3)
#
# ... the list goes on. At the risk of starting another bikeshed about the
# personal
# freedom of maintainers to name their port how they please, why TF does
# this have
# to be? Do we have any benefit from that? Is `plus' as a package suffix
# separator
# en vouge this summer?

Would adding a check in portlint help?

Regards,