RFC: [Long] Change PTHREAD_LIBS to -pthread for -CURRENT

Michael Nottebrock michaelnottebrock at gmx.net
Tue Jun 8 08:07:46 GMT 2004

On Tuesday 08 June 2004 07:39, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:

> So, I propose changing PTHREAD_LIBS to -pthread for -CURRENT.  This will
> match what we have in 4.X, and will last for the life of 5.X going
> forward.  The threading people tell me this is doable now.  Thoughts?

My knowledge about both our rtld and our threads implementation is limited,
however: I see that linking via -lpthread is what's done on Linux/glibc.
Linux/glibc is the reference and development platform of a huge majority of
the software which exists in the ports-collection. Would it be possible to
keep -lpthread as PTHREAD_LIBS and do whatever glibc does (if it does
anything at all) to prevent the breakage you describe from happening?

   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi at freebsd.org