[Fwd: Recent changes to rc.d on -CURRENT]

Andrey Chernov ache at nagual.pp.ru
Mon Jul 26 15:08:26 PDT 2004

On Mon, Jul 26, 2004 at 05:51:35PM -0400, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> > Yes, they are unset, but I still see
> > *.sh)                           # run in current shell
> > 	set $_arg ; . $_file
> > in run_rc_script().
> > It means
> > eval /usr/bin/limits -e -U www
> > will be invoked in the current shell once (when apache.sh will be
> > processed) and affect all following scripts. May I overlook something?
>
> Sorry, I misunderstood.  Yes, those limits would be inherited until
> another script adjusted them.  Why not override the start_cmd, and run:
>
> /usr/bin/limits -e -U www ${command}
>
> That said, portmgr is working on a better solution for problems like
> this.

Of course, it will be workaround, but IMHO current approach is mistake and
effectively cuts down usefulness of start_precmd etc. things. Moreover,
some single buggy script installed can ruin all following scripts.
Previous separate subshell way does right thing, i.e. buggy script can
ruin only its own subshell. Better to back this change out.

--
Andrey Chernov | http://ache.pp.ru/